Sunday, November 13, 2011

Down in My Heart to Stay

Years and years (okay-decades and decades) of Christian life finds me still questing for more wholeness through my relationship with God, His Word and His People.  Questing is endless, until someone is singing "The Old Rugged Cross" at one's funeral or similar final symbol of life's end.  (God's Grace is a subject for later writings) What is the goal?

I think the goal is Oneness with God's Love, a state of peace that we used to sing about as kids in Sunday School:  "I've got the peace that passeth understanding down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart.  I've got the peace that passeth understanding down in my heart to stay."

Our early learning in Sunday School gave us Jesus who "Loves the little children, all the children of the world.  Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight.  Jesus loves the little children of the world."

Several songs refer to our heart such as, "Lord I want to be like Jesus, inna my heart, inna my heart.  Lord I want to be like Jesus inna my heart."  You can reflect on the other "heart focused" songs you sang (and hopefully still sing).

"In my Heart There Rings a Melodie" was one of my Grandma Jonas' favorites and it was true of her as all knew who spent much time around her.  Set Our Hearts at Liberty is the title of this blog, named for a line from "Love Divine All Loves Excelling".

I don't remember any Sunday School songs about my brain. "I've got a brain for Jesus" or "I'm smart because of Jesus" were never written.

The heart is the action center.  "As a man thinketh, in his heart, so is he." notes the Bible.  So how do we get there?

Ephesians 6:10-18 be protected first.  Pray from your heart and through your heart.  You may invite the brain later, but it's dependent on the heart for oneness with God's love.  Pray until you notice what you used to sing, "I've got the love of Jesus, love of Jesus down in my heart.  Down in my heart.  Down in my heart.  I've got the love of Jesus, love of Jesus down in my heart.  Down in my heart to stay."

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment